4/05/2016

Homemade Condensed Soups

If you are anything like me, you LOVE casseroles! I make about one a week, which  means I usually have Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom or Tomato soup on my grocery list. Lately I have been trying to cut down on the sodium and preservatives where I can and those condensed soups that go into my beloved casseroles? LOADED with both!! What's a moderately lazy girl like me to do? Google a suitable replacement! And I found a great set of recipes for each. I have only made the Cream of Chicken so far but I will include all three recipes here and add the pics when I make the others.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
**Recipe will yield the equivalent of two cans of condensed soup


INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used seasoned flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp celery seed (optional)
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup diced cooked chicken
      Since I was going to immediately use this in a chicken casserole, I left out the diced chicken.

In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil over medium high heat. Mix together the milk and flour in a bowl until the flour is dissolved.


Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling stock and whisk to combine. Whisk in all the seasonings and reduce heat to medium. Bring the mixture back to a low boil and stir constantly. Boil and stir for about 3 minutes or until thickened. If using chicken, add it now. Use immediately in a recipe or store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.



CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
**Recipe will yield the equivalent of two cans of condensed soup



INGREDIENTS:
1 1/3 cups vegetable stock
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely diced fresh mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp celery seed (optional)
1/8 tsp dried thyme

In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil over medium high heat. Mix together the milk and flour in a bowl until the flour is dissolved.


Slowly pour the milk mixture into the boiling stock and whisk to combine. 



Whisk in the mushrooms and all the seasonings and reduce heat to medium. 



Bring the mixture back to a low boil and stir constantly. Boil and stir for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Use immediately in a recipe or store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator. I used mine right away in some Chicken Spaghetti and it was fabulous!!



CONDENSED TOMATO SOUP
**Recipe will yield the equivalent of one can of condensed soup



INGREDIENTS:
8 oz tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt

Whisk all ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined. Add to your favorite recipe!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think