9/06/2010

Ground Meat Gyros

As I flipped through my Taste of Home Most Requested Recipes book looking for something new to try, I was drawn to a recipe called "Ground Beef Gyros". I had to alter some things from the original recipe but these turned out really well. The kids ate them up and I will admit to a second helping myself.
The Ingredients:
For the sauce:
1 carton (8 oz) plain yogurt
1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
Filling:
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt, optional
3/4 tsp pepper
1 pound ground beef
pita bread

As you can see in my ingredients picture, I used ground turkey and in place of all the spices, I used Cavender's Greek Seasoning since it has all of those things in it.
First, mix up the sauce. Dump the yogurt into a small bowl and add the cucumber. (I used a seedless cucumber and my cheese grater to shred it up).
Mix in the garlic, onion and sugar. Stir well and place in fridge to chill.

In a larger bowl, add your seasonings to the meat. I generously sprinkled the top of the meat and then sprinkled more in after mixing.

Use the mixers you were born with; they really are the best tools sometimes!

Make patties out of the mixture and cook them either in a skillet or on the grill.

When the meat is cooked, cut each patty into strips and fill your pita bread with meat, cucumber sauce and fresh spinach (or lettuce if you don't like spinach).

Very easy, very quick, very tasty, and most importantly, Chaosville approved!

1 comment:

Tell me what you think