7/08/2010

Shredded Beef Au Jus

This recipe is from my Taste of Home 2010 Annual Recipes cookbook. I'm a little embarrassed to blog it because I have made it twice now and haven't ended up with shredded beef, but it has been delicious and moist sliced beef each time. I don't know if my crockpot is not working so great (it was a wedding gift in 1997) or if the cut of meat I used wasn't just right although it is what the recipe calls for. In any case, just the Au Jus (broth) this makes is worth it!!
Ingredients:
1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
2 cups water
2 tsp beef bouillon granules (or 2 cubes)
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp dried rosemary (I used thyme instead)
Hamburger buns

First things first, arrange for competent supervision:

Next, I trimmed the fat off the roast. This is easily done with a sharp knife. Pull the edge of the fat with one hand and run your knife along the seam where the meat and fat touch. This way you lose very little meat to the trimming process:

Cut the roast in half and place in crock pot. In a small bowl, combine the water and spices.

Pour the sauce mixture over the roast.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. If it turns out right you can shred the meat with two forks. If it turns out like mine you can slice it thinly and have some wonderful sandwiches for dinner.
I sauteed some onions to put on my sandwich too! As I said before the broth from this is so good I want to pour it in a glass and drink it but I am an adult so I just poured some on my sandwich instead. I also freeze the leftover broth and use it in a future recipe that calls for beef broth. Last time I made Lasagna Soup with it and it was deelish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think