7/23/2010

Salmon or Tuna Patties

I found this great recipe in Parenting Magazine. Since we try to have fish about once a week I put it in the "Try-It-Out" section and when I came around to it, it was a big hit! Very easy to prepare, the kids even helped. I did learn that it's worth the extra money to buy the fancier package of salmon. Not so many bones and skin chunks to fish out. Anyway, I was staring into my cupboard last week while I planned the menu and trying to use up some of the things I had on hand. One thing I had was a big stack of canned tuna. I remembered the patties and was sure tuna would work as well as the salmon had. I was right!! Here's what you do:
1 (7.5 oz) can of salmon or tuna
2 Tbsp finely diced shallots or onion ** I use dried, minced onion when I have no fresh
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp panko or regular breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp canola oil

I doubled the recipe and ended up using three (5 oz) cans of tuna. Drain and flake the tuna in a bowl, then add the onion, egg and 1/4 cup of panko crumbs.

Mix well. Then to make the patties, I score the bowl into eight sections. Can you see what I mean in the picture?

Then I take out one section at a time, form into a pattie and place into panko crumbs.

Make sure the crumbs are on all sides and place into a heated skillet with canola oil.

When they are nice and brown (about 2-3 minutes), flip them over to brown the other side.

These can be enjoyed with many different types of sauces, but for purists like us, ketchup was the first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think