7/20/2010

Hoppin' John

This is one of the things I can remember eating as a kid, especially on New Year's when black-eyed peas are considered lucky. I struggled for the first few years of our marriage to make black-eyed peas with abysmal results. Then I found Ranch Style Brands Black-Eyed Peas. We have eaten Ranch Style Beans my whole life too but the black-eyed peas they can are fabulous! I always have a can in my cabinet. This recipe is straight off the can. It easy, fairly fast and so good. I hope you like it.
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans (15 oz) Ranch Style Brand Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon, undrained
8 oz Kielbasa, thinly sliced **
1 cup uncooked rice
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, I leave it out)
1 can chicken broth (I use bouillon cubes)

The first thing I do are chop the onion and celery
and prepare the bouillon

Then heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan and add the garlic, onion and celery. Trust me when I tell you that sauteing onion, celery and garlic is one of the best cooking smells ever!!

Cook 8 - 10 minutes until tender. While your assistant tends to the veggies you can chop the sausage, open the peas and measure out the rice.
When the veggies are tender, add the remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover tightly. Stirring occasionally, simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

This is a filling, hearty dish and the leftovers hold up well. I even freeze individual portions for my hubby to eat when I'm away or when he goes camping on his own. It's one of his favorite camping foods.


** I use plain sausage, not Kielbasa. I have also used Lil Smokies. Use whatever you like.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Thanks for linking to it in your menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog/recipes through 'This Week for Dinner' blog. I got frustrated with trying finding fast, simple, inexpensive, healthy, yummy meals for my family & we've been eating out too much as a consequence. Lately, I've been trying to get back in the kitchen again, and I've found several of your recipes are just what I've been looking for.

    I really appreciate the pics of the ingredients or else I would never have tried Hunt's 4 Cheese spaghetti sauce. I use mix it with 1 can of the regular Hunts for the Ravioli lasagna and the family raved about that meal-no leftovers! They also loved your burrito casserole. And the other day, I made your Hoppin' John. I accidentally made too much veg, so doubled the rice and broth to balance it out. I inadvertently doubled the recipe, but it works out b/c I froze half for a quick meal another week. My husband really loved this one.

    Thanks for sharing your recipes and step by step photos/directions with us! ~Chrissy

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think