12/26/2011

Bourbon-Pecan Bread

This recipe came in a booklet that I received along with a 4-chambered mini loaf pan from Southern Living magazine. I immediately hit on the name of this recipe and decided I would have to try it out in our Christmas baskets this year.
The Ingredients:


2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1 tsp grated orange peel (I didn't have any!)
1 cup chopped pecans, divided
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Bourbon
1 large egg

Combine the first four ingredients and blend together. Cut butter into the dry mix until crumbly.

Add orange peel and 3/4 cup pecans.


Whisk together milk, bourbon and egg in a bowl.


Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.


Spoon batter into 4 greased and floured mini loaf pans.


Sprinkle tops with 1/4 cup pecans. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes the turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.


The recipe included a glaze for the top that due to mailing I couldn't use. You combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 to 4 tsp Bourbon until creamy and able to drizzle. Drizzle on top of loaves. Maybe this would have added a little more sweetness to the bread. It tastes great and you can really smell the bourbon. It just wasn't sweet enough for me. I hope the people we sent it to enjoyed it and I will for sure try out a new recipe before using it for gifts next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think