12/05/2011

Beef Stew

Along with pot roast, beef stew is a dish I have never failed to ruin. After my recent success with pot roast (thanks to Pioneer Woman's recipe), I thought I would give beef stew another chance. There are bajillions of recipes out there so I decided to go the super easy route of buying a Beef Stew Seasoning packet at the grocery store and following the recipe on the back. Here we go:
The Ingredients


2 pounds stew meat (I used a chuck roast that I cut up into pieces)
1/4 cup flour (I took the picture with plain flour but ended up using my Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour)
3 cup water
1 pkg Beef Stew Seasoning
5 cup vegetables

After I cut up my roast:


Pour the flour over the beef and make sure all sides are coated.


Brown beef in a large pot or dutch oven. If there is a lot of fat when they are done, you may want to drain it off. I cut all the fat off the meat so I did not need to do that.


Add the water and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until beef is tender.


Prepare your veggies. I skipped the celery I had in the picture above and since my favorite part is the onion, I went heavy on them. You do what you like!


Add the vegetables to the pot and simmer, covered, another 45 minutes.


In actuality I simmered mine for a little over an hour. The potatoes weren't quite done at the 45 minute mark. I think the heat was too low. I turned it up to about medium for the last 15 minutes.
I had intended to make a loaf of bread to serve with this but I didn't have enough honey on hand so I just grabbed some biscuits from the fridge.


I was really happy with this! It was hearty and filling and felt great on Raley's sore throat this evening. A nice meal to cook and eat on a rainy, cold day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think