12/27/2010

Maple-Pecan Snack Mix

I was looking for a replacement for the Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix I usually make for Christmas gifts to include in my in-laws gift basket. My father-in-law is allergic to cinnamon and nutmeg and basically anything you would put in a pumpkin pie. Although I could have simply warned him not to eat it, I just thought that wasn't right and I should find something he would like and swap it out. I looked through my cookbooks and found this recipe in my Taste of Home 2011 Annual Recipes book in the section titled "Quick Fixes". I made a few substitutions but the end result was very tasty!
The Ingredients
5 cups Honey Nut Chex
1 cup granola (without raisins)
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (I used some glazed pecans I had leftover from another recipe)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup syrup
1 package (3 1/2 oz) dried blueberries (I left these out)
3/4 cup semisweet morsels (I used some Special Dark Pieces I had laying around)

In a large microwavable bowl, combine cereal, granola and pecans. *I left the pecans out of mine because they were already glazed. I didn't want them to get too sweet.

In a small microwavable bowl, combine syrup, brown sugar and butter. Microwave 2 minutes, stirring once.

Pour over cereal mixture and turn to coat. Microwave mix for 4 minutes, stirring after each minute.

Spread out onto waxed paper to cool. *I added my pecans now.

When cool, add the berries (if using) and the chocolate. Break into chunks and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think