12/24/2010

Dried Beef Gravy

For Christmas this year, my parents got me the 5 quart covered saute pan that matches my Paula Deen cookware set. I am so excited! I have been wanting this forever!! Anyhow, I thought a perfect thing to cook in it for the first time would be something that starts out "Take a whole stick of butter..."
The Ingredients
2 small jars dried beef
8 Tbsp (1 stick) of butter
8 Tbsp flour
4 cups milk

Take a whole stick of butter and melt it over medium heat in a saucepan or large skillet.

When butter has melted, begin adding the flour, whisking to prevent lumps. I use a seasoned flour. If you were using regular flour you would want to also add some Worchestershire sauce and some pepper.

When all the four has been added, allow the roux to cook for a minute or two. Then begin adding milk gradually, whisking it in. The mixture will thicken quickly and if you don't add the liquid in, you will have a lumpy mess.

Once the milk has all been added, cook over medium heat and allow to thicken to gravy consistency. Chop up the beef.

Add the beef once the gravy is as thick as you like it.

When I was a kid, my mom served this on bread with fries. Once I married and made it for my hubby, I happened upon the addition of biscuits in place of bread. It has become our standard form of eating it ever since.

2 comments:

  1. We used to put it on toast; my dad called it "shit on a shingle". That was the only time we ever heard him cuss. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always made 'chipped beef gravy' with toast. I still make it from time to time. I've never thought of putting it on fries or anything. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think