4/10/2013

Roast Duck

A couple months ago, one of our new neighbors was coming home from work and we were out in the yard planting a tree. He came up to me and asked, "Do you eat duck?" I answered that I never had but not because I was opposed to it. He then told me his wife's boss had gone duck hunting and had given her a couple of the ducks which she accepted but had no intention of cooking. he asked if I wanted them so I said, "Sure!" Then they sat in my freezer  Raley kept asking me when I was going to make them and I finally said I would cook one for Easter. Then I had to find a recipe.....
Not too long ago we finally got with the times and started watching "Duck Dynasty" on A&E. If you don't watch it, you should! It is hilarious and heartwarming and good clean family fun. There aren't many reality shows you can watch with your kids, but this one you can. Well, as you may guess by the name, it is about a family of duck (and everything else) hunters who run a highly successful company selling (among other things) duck calls invented by the family patriarch. They also show a lot of cooking! So I went to their website looking for an easy recipe for duck. In the end I went with a very basic recipe from allrecipes.com

The Ingredients


1 duck (4 - 5 pounds) **I was surprised to find two ducks in the bag instead of one but together they made the correct weight so i used them both
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix spices together, rub over all surfaces of the duck(s). Place in roasting pan.


Roast for one hour, the baste with 1/4 cup of melted butter. Continue baking for 45 more minutes, baste with remaining butter and cook 15 more minutes until golden brown.
I don't have any more pictures but the end result was pretty tasty. Maybe just a tad overdone but not to the point of being dry and awful. The only complaint I got was from my brother who bit down on a piece of birdshot! Nothing like organic food, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think