4/10/2013

"Irish" Beef Stew

I know it has been an awful long time since I even posted a menu, but I am trying to get back into my groove. So today I will post a few recipes, all of the Challenge Recipes, even though they were never mentioned on a menu post. Sorry! Please forgive :)
This is what I made for St. Patrick's Day dinner and it was fabulous! I more or less followed the recipe in Pioneer Woman's Food From My Frontier book.

The Ingredients


3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 pounds beef stew meat
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces beer of your choosing
4 cups beef broth (I use the new Knorr Homestyle Stock concentrate)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Tomato paste (I did not have so I used ketchup)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
potatoes of your choice. I like to use baby gold or fingerlings
carrots
2 Tbsp flour

The most important ingredient for this recipe is the reason it is "Irish" Beef Stew. My beer of choice was Guinness Draught. Most people will tell you not to cook with a beer you would not drink. This happens to be an old favorite of mine so I wasn't worried but Jayme does not like it so I was slightly worried for him. he loved the stew though, so I guess it all worked out okay!




Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add beef to brown on all sides.


Since I was finishing my stew in the slow cooker, I threw the meat in there when it was brown. Then moved on to cooking the onion and garlic, again just to get them started.


Then into the crock with them as well. Now it was time for the beer. I did not use the whole can. Depending on what kind of beer you use the amount may change.


Sorry for the blur! Give everything a good stir and add in your Worcestershire, tomato paste (or ketchup), sugar and spices along with the beef broth. With the Knorr concentrate, you first dissolve it in hot water like you would bouillon cubes or granules. Only this stuff has bits of veggies floating around in it and is very rich and delicious.


Then on with the lid and slow cook away on low for 6 - 8 hours or high for 4 hours. About halfway through, add in the veggies. Just when the meat is tender and the veggies are perfect, whisk together the flour with 1 cup of the liquid from the pot.



Add that back in for a thickening agent while you grab your bowls, crusty bread, drinks and kids. Serve and enjoy!


My wee little leprechauns loved it too :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think