2/01/2011

Mini Donuts

For Christmas this past year, my in-laws got me one of these:


A baking pan that has little forms for mini donuts. I was very excited about this!! There were two recipes with it for Cake Donuts and Chocolate Cake Donuts. I finally got around to making them yesterday and I am fairly pleased with the results.
First up were the Cake Donuts. Here are the ingredients:

2 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine eggs, milk and vanilla. Mix in melted butter. Combine dry mix and wet mix until well blended.

In order to fill the little forms easier, I put the batter in a Ziploc bag and snipped off a corner to make a pastry/piping bag.

Pipe batter into prepared pan until wells are 2/3 full.

Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.

Allow pan to cool before repeating with remaining batter. Yield is about 36 donuts.

Now for the Chocolate Cake Donuts. The Ingredients:

1 ½ cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl combine eggs, sugar and vanilla. In a third bowl combine milk and butter.

Alternate adding egg mix and milk mix to dry mix until well blended. Fill a Ziploc with batter to form a piping bag.

Pipe batter into wells of prepared pan until wells are 2/3 full. Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool pan before refilling. Yield is about 36 donuts.

Now for the dipping! For the plain donuts I used a cinnamon sugar mix and some plain powdered sugar.

Drop in a donut and flip it around to cover all sides and nooks and crannies. I also made a glaze with powdered sugar and hot water (1 cup sugar per 2 Tbsp water)

I dipped some of the plain and all of the chocolate ones in the glaze. After tasting we still had a lot of donuts to snack on for the next couple of days.

Chocolate with glaze, plain with glaze, cinna-sugar and powdered
The verdict? I think they are good. They aren’t as sweet as store-bought ones of course. I think next time I will leave the spices out of the plain ones and see how that tastes. For now, the powdered are the most popular with the plain glazed a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think