4/28/2010

Raley Goulash

Here's another dish my father-in-law taught me to make. I have no idea what he calls it. We used to call it "That stuff Papa makes" until we named it Raley Goulash (Raley being his name). I'm not sure if it is actually a goulash or not. Goulash is defined as "A stew of beef or veal and vegetables, seasoned mainly with paprika. A mixture of many different elements; a hodgepodge". I don't use paprika in it but it most definitely a hodge-podge. It's an involved process, but not really difficult to make and it freezes well which is good because it makes a lot and my kids don't like it. They tried again last night, but they are turned off by the veggies in it.
The Ingredients:






2 large potatoes
1 pound ground meat (I am using turkey)
1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can diced tomatoes
2 small or 1 large box macaroni & cheese dinner


I like to cook the potatoes first. Peel and then dice the potatoes into bite size pieces. Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil. When it boils, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Test for doneness by piercing with a fork. Drain potatoes.
Next I brown the meat while I cook the macaroni & cheese. Once the meat is browned and drained, add the potatoes and tomatoes (do not drain the tomatoes). Drain the green beans and corn and add them as well.


Once the mac & cheese is done (you simply prepare it per the instructions on the box) add it to the mix and heat through. This is very good with Tabasco sauce (I am told) and stands as a meal by itself. As I mentioned, it freezes well and my husband likes to take frozen servings when he goes camping.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think