4/07/2010

Burrito (Chimichurri) Casserole

Burrito (Chimichurri) Casserole

I originally made this recipe using a test-market product from Lawry's seasonings. They called it Chimichurri Casserole. It was incredibley delicious. Since I wasn't sure if they would ever produce the mix, I recreated it using burrito seasoning. Well, good news!! You can now buy Lawry's Chimichurri Casserole seasoning at your local grocery store. I feel confident that anyone can get it because I can and I live in a tiny little town. Run out and buy some today. If you liked the Burrito Casserole version, you are going to LOVE the Chimichurri!!
The Ingredients

1 pkg burrito/chimichurri seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 lb ground beef (I have used ground turkey and ground venison with great results)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
8 flour tortillas *sometimes you need a couple more, it just depends on how full you stuff them :)
1 cup shredded cheese * I always use more than this




1.) Mix water, seasoning pack and tomato sauce until blended.


2.) Brown meat and drain the fat. Stir in 1 cup of the sauce and the black beans. ** Before I add the black beans I fill one tortilla with the meat mixture for Clay who doesn't like the beans. Raley, while usually a bean hater, doesn't mind black beans as they have a creamier texture.







3.) Heat the tortillas according to the package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup of the meat mixture into each tortilla.



 Fold over the sides and place seam side down in greased 13 x 9 baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over burritos and sprinkle with the cheese
.
4.) Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.


Our family gets 2 meals out of this dish, or 1 meal and a couple lunches for myself and Jayme.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I shall try this one!! Except I will use texturized vegetable protein instead of meat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This concept sounds great. (We're not huge bean fans here, so we might omit those, but the idea sounds delicious.)

    (If you're interested, through MUCH trial and error, my wife has concocted a seasoning recipe that replaces the traditional taco/burrito mix packs, which means a) cheaper and b) no MSG. Let me know and I can email it.)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think