1/29/2013

Swedish Meatballs Trial 1

As part of last week's challenge, I am on the hunt for the perfect (but easy) Swedish Meatball sauce recipe. I had just cut one out of Taste of Home so, I started with that one. There was one other I tried back in September but I do not remember where I found it. I liked it better than this one though.

The Ingredients


1/2 cup all purpose flour*
2 3/4 cups milk
2 cans condensed beef consomme, undiluted
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
pepper and salt*
*as usual, I use Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour so I leave out the salt and pepper


I opted for frozen meatballs, mostly out of laziness but also because they are just as good to me! Throw some in a skillet with a little oil or butter and get a little color on them.


Take them out, then add flour to the drippings to make a roux.


Whisk in the milk and keep whisking until smooth and thickened.


Stir in the consomme and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil and stir for two minutes while thickening occurs.


Add the meatballs back in and cook uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until meatballs are warmed through. Stir occasionally. Serve over hot cooked noodles.
Like I said, the hunt will continue. This tasted more like a Salisbury Steak gravy to me than the Swedish Meatballs I am longing for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think