5/07/2011

S.O.S.

Every family has one; a recipe they refer to as S.O.S. (the same old sh*t). When I posted our Dried Beef Gravy recipe, one of the commentors said her family called it S.O.S. The general idea is that S.O.S. is something you fix when you are out of ideas or ingredients. It can be modified a thousand different ways to suit what you have one hand and what you like. In Jayme's family growing up, his mom made it like this. Or I guess it is more fitting to say, after asking her for the recipe, this is what I made from what she told me.
The Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, finely diced
1/4 cup green pepper (or as much as you like)
flour (I use Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour)
milk (quantity depends on you!)

Brown the beef with the onion and green pepper until cooked through.
Start adding in flour until you see there is no more liquid in your skillet.

Stir it around a little and when you notice the meat is kind of sticking together in clumps, you have enough flour.

Almost there.....

PERFECT! Now start to add milk; SLOWLY.
Stir until the milk thickens and then add a little more until you have the consistency of gravy you desire.

If you used plain flour, this would be the time to add in some salt or pepper or both. It's also time to figure out what you are going to ladle this over. Jayme's family used toast, so that's what we are using. We made a few thick pieces from the bread I made Monday.

Ladle some gravy on top and enjoy! The real question is, or course, what did Jayme think? He thought it was good. He said he didn't remember the green pepper being in it and would like less or none next time. That's fine with me too. I was surprised that all three of the clones ate it up too. I guess we have another keeper here! What's your family's version of S.O.S.?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think