11/16/2010

Kentucky Derby Pie

One year when we still lived in Germany, our wonderful friends Matt and Ann invited us over for Christmas dinner. Ann is from Paducah, Kentucky and she served this truly amazing pie for dessert. I left with the recipe and a new favorite thing to make for parties. I have even used the small tart-sized pie crusts to make individual pies with this recipe.

The Ingredients

2 prepared pie crusts**
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup stick margarine (I use butter, softened)
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 cup pecan halves or pieces
2 Tbsp bourbon (this is where the "Kentucky" comes in. Use Jim Beam instead of Jack Daniels)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Add sugar, margarine/butter, corn syrup, bourbon, salt and eggs in a medium bowl.

Whisk until well blended. Divide chocolate chips and pecan pieces between two pastry-lined pie plates.
Pour sugar/butter/bourbon blend on top of chips and nuts in pastry-lined pie plate(s).

Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes or until set.
This stuff is almost too good!



**If you have a deep pie dish, you could probably fit the whole recipe in one pie. I don't have one so I usually make the full recipe listed and split it between 2 crusts. This makes for an almost fudgy texture on the bottom that I just adore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think