10/20/2010

Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Soup (copycat)

Whenever we go to the Olive Garden for lunch, I like to get the soup, salad and bread sticks. My favorite soup, BY FAR, is the Chicken & Gnocchi. I always ask them to make sure there are lots of gnocchis in mine too. Naturally once I started this blog and started cooking more and trying more things, I searched for a similar recipe for this amazing soup. There are a lot of them out there! I have only tried one, but it was so darn good, I just stuck with it. It's pretty easy too, once you chop/grate/julienne everything.
The Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup celery, chopped fine
3/4 cup onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup carrot, grated very fine and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (not pictured)
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups fresh chicken stock (I use bouillon)
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (I like to buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. I get the Italian Herb one if they have it)
3/4 cup fresh spinach, julienne cut
16 ounces gnocchi
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (I used Thyme since I had no rosemary)
black pepper & salt to taste

Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and sauté until soft.

Add flour mixing well, cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add heavy cream, milk
and chicken broth mixing well.
Cook and stir until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in chicken, spinach, gnocchi and remaining seasonings.

Adjust seasonings to taste. Cook over low heat 8-10 minutes until gnocchi become tender. (you could also place the ingredients in a Crock-Pot and cook on low for 1- 1 ½ hours, this really makes the flavors come together)

Perfection!

***UPDATE***
I found this Mini Gnocchi at a fancy-pants grocery store in town. They are perfect for this dish :)

4 comments:

  1. WOW! great pics and great recipe! You are making me HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you buy the gnocchi at? I love this soup from Olive Garden. I am not a soup person, but this is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for entering your recipe, Fran! Gnocchi is one of my top 10 foods, but I've never had it in soup! This looks sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to try this. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think