2/25/2010

Taco Soup

A couple weeks ago when I first got the idea for this blog, I was making Taco Soup for dinner. I had lost my recipe and sent out an urgent distress call on Facebook but no one else's recipe was quite like mine. I googled for a recipe and found several that were very close, just off by an ingredient or two. Long story short, I finally found the recipe I was used to online and I thought about typing it up and posting it on my blog and sending it to the people who had sent me their recipes. I envisioned a Pioneer Woman-esque post with pictures and witty phrasing. What follows is my attempt at the sincerest form of flattery!

Gather up all your ingredients
You can use any type of ground meat you like. I have used beef, venison and (like this time) turkey.

Dice your onions


Shred yourself a whole mess of cheese.
I used to buy shredded cheese in a bag until I was at my sister-in-law's house and she shredded her own. The texture was incredible; very smooth and creamy. I have been buying blocks of cheese to shred at home ever since. (The Shiner Bock doesn't go in the soup, it goes in the cook!)

Brown your choice of ground meat with the onions and drain off any fat.


Drain the kidney beans and rinse them off.
Not all recipes call for drained and rinsed kidney beans. The original recipe for this soup didn't but it is a personal thing of mine. The "liquid" in the can is offensive to me so I rinse it all off.

The stewed tomato chunks will need to be made smaller.


If only this blog could relay the heavenly smell to you!


Add the toppings of your choice and ENJOY!!

PS--This soup is very good as a soup, but it is also thick enough to be eaten like a dip with tortilla chips, I usually do a little of both!

Taco Soup
2 pounds ground meat
2 onions, diced
2 cans pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cans Rotel
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 pkg ranch dressing dry mix

Brown meat and onion and drain fat. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with cheese, chips, sour cream etc...

1 comment:

Tell me what you think