4/05/2012

Amish Friendship Bread--Lemon

I thought Easter would be a great reason to make a fresh lemon variation on the Amish bread. Pattie loves the Lemon Pound Cake at Starbucks so I am hoping she will like this bread too. It is still baking as I post so I will have to add taste notes later. But here is the recipe to get you started! More recipes at this website
The Ingredients:

1 cup Amish bread starter
1 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice*
1 Tbsp lemon zest*
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 small boxes instant lemon pudding mix

*I used the zest and juice of 2 small lemons. First I zested them:
It took all the zest from the two lemons I had to make the full tablespoon required. Then I juiced the two lemons with my reamer:
and it was the prefect amount as well! Can't beat fresh ingredients :)

In a large bowl, combine all the wet ingredients. In a smaller bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Add the dry mix to the wet mix until fully combined. Pour into two sugared bread pans and lightly sprinkle some sugar on top too. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until done. Leave them in the pan to cool for about 30 minutes and they will be MUCH easier to remove from the pans.
I like to put one loaf in the freezer once it cools completely. That way I have a dessert or brunch I can pull out or take with me to a gathering. I hope you are enjoying the variations as much as I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think