8/23/2013

Coke Cake

When I was growing up, a visit to my dad's parents meant a lot of deliciousness was headed our way. My GrandMom was always in the kitchen. I have so many happy memories of watching her make dinner rolls from scratch with one bowl of dough and cinnamon rolls with the other bowl. The leftover dinner rolls would be cut in half, reheated in the oven the next morning and slathered with apple butter. She also made these delicious loafs called Coke Cake. I made a 7Up cake recently and was talking to Mom and Dad about it and the Coke Cake came up too. Mom said she not only had the recipe, she had it in writing, in GrandMom's writing! I asked her and Daddy to make me a copy. It's the only recipe of hers I have.



Yesterday I stocked up on the kind of weird ingredients and I made the cakes today. Here you go:
The Ingredients


2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening (I love the Crisco baking sticks because they are so easy to measure out)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup Coke
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda

Mix together the flour and sugar in a large bowl.


Put the shortening, cocoa and Coke in a saucepan and bring to a boil.


Almost....

Once it boils, remove from heat and stir in the marshmallows.

Stir until they are melted.


 Pour into flour mixture.


And mix well.


beat together eggs, buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl.


Add to the batter.


Stir to combine fully but do not beat. We don't want to add any air.


Pour into prepared bundt pan or two prepared loaf pans.



Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. I checked mine at 50 minutes and they were done.


I think I may need new loaf pans though because lately everything I make in them turns out like this:


Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Or is it my pans? I spray the heck out of them and the sides don't stick. In fact, the bottoms don't stick in the pans so much as they pull apart from the rest of the loaf. Frustrating and ugly but it doesn't hurt the flavor!! Every bit as delicious as I remembered. Thanks GrandMom xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think