8/05/2013

7Up Pound Cake

Hello, again! I managed to make another challenge recipe this week! It is a delicious and easy dessert. When I was little I used to love going to visit my dad's parents in Bakersfield. GrandMom was an amazing cook. She made homemade from scratch everything and had a storage room full of things she had canned. Every meal was like a great big hug. I remember with great fondness the cakes she would make, especially Coke cake and 7Up cake. I remember them being in a loaf shape but Daddy says she sometimes made them in Bundt pans. In any case, I looked up a recipe and found one to try on the Pioneer Woman site.
The Ingredients:


3 sticks butter, softened
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp Butter flavoring
2 tsp Lemon flavoring
3 cups flour
1 cup 7Up (or sprite or any other lemon-lime soda)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and liberally grease a bundt pan. Then head over to your mixer and cream together the butter and sugar.


It is best to whip the butter first, then add the sugar, one cup at a time, mixing between cups. Then add the eggs, one at a time.



Add the flavorings and start adding flour, one cup at a time, mixing between.


Finally, pour in the 7Up and mix gently to incorporate.


Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 325 for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until done.





It had a lovely almost crunch to the outside and was the perfect dessert to serve my in-laws after our Mexican Chicken Lasagna. I made an icing/glaze from 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, a little lemon juice and enough milk (a Tbsp or two) to make it runny. I also had some strawberries and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream around for company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think