2/18/2013

Ree's Knock You Naked Brownies

This might be the most important blog post you read in your life so turn off your phone, don't stop to go to the bathroom or finish the dishes or the laundry. In fact, if you aren't prepared to go right to the grocery store to buy the ingredients, you may want to go do that really quickly. I'll wait.......
In all seriousness, these are amazing. I printed the recipe quite a while ago when it was first published on the Pioneer Woman blog. It has taken me almost two years to make them and I don't know why! I thought they would be a fun treat to make for Valentine's Day for Jayme (not that he needs an excuse to be naked LOL) and I was so right! My father-in-law has proclaimed them, "The best brownies he ever had" and I have the text message to prove it. My only change to Ree's recipe was I left out the pecans. Next time I think I will make two pans, one with and one without. Here you go:

The Ingredients



1 box German Chocolate cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans (if using)
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk (additional)
1/2 cup butter, melted
60 whole caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry cake mix, pecans (if using), melted butter and 1/3 cup evaporated milk until fully combined. It will be very thick!






Divide the batter in half and spread one half in the bottom of a well greased square cake pan. I think next time I will line it with parchment paper or foil as my corners were hard to get out.



Bake this portion for 8 to minutes, then set aside. While that is baking, get to work on the caramels. In a double boiler, or glass bowl method, melt the caramels with the additional evaporated milk until smooth. This took quite a bit longer than I expected it to but I was worried about messing it up so I used pretty low heat. It was my first time!
**I made them again today and looked on the bag of caramels to see what the recommended melting method was. Two minutes in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. Much faster!!









When it's ready, pour the caramel over the baked brownie bottom.



Evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the caramel.



Now get the remaining dough and spread it out to approximately the size of your pan.





Then lay it on top of the caramel/chocolate chip layer.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool down to room temperature.



Then put them in the fridge for a couple hours to really set up. Before serving them, dust with the powdered sugar...



...and cut into squares. I ended up with 12 squares and I think next time I will make them smaller. They are so decadent that it is actually hard to finish a whole one if you are having it for dessert. Or you can just eat it first!



So very, very good!!!



I did not put them back in the fridge afterwards and the next day they were so much better! Softer and more flavorful to me without the cold. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think